DOE Openness: Human Radiation Experiments: Roadmap to the Project
ACTIVITIES OF EARL R. MILLER AS INDICATED BY PUBLISHED MATERIAL
April 22, 1995
Numbers refer to numbers on the chronological bibliography
CLINICAL: 1, 2, 3, 4, 9,12, 25, 27, 39, 40, 46, 50, 66, 68, 75, 92, 110
TECHNIQUE, PHYSICS, FILMS, ETC.: 5, 6, 49, 60, 69, 83, 85, 87, 94, 108, 112,113
ERROR: 8, 11, 37, 38, 45
ANGIOGRAPHY: 10,13, 21, 22, 30, 41, 51, 53, 95
RADIOIODINE I131: 14,18, 19A, 20, 26, 28, 29, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 42, 44, 48, 52, 54, 55, 61, 62, 70,74
BIOLOGICAL EFFECTS OF RADIATION (ALL WERE CLASSIFIED UCRL REPORTS WHICH CITED PROGRESSION ON LOW BEER'S WORK WITH p32 AND MY WORK WITH I131): 15,16,17,19, 23, 24
BRATT BORED: 47
X RAY MOVIES: 43, 57, 63, 64, 65, 71 , 72, 73, 76, 77, 91 ,107
SPEECH: 79, 81, 88, 98, 101, 104, 106, 114, 126
URINARY TRACT PHYSIOLOGY: 56, 58, 80, 82, 86, 89, 90, 93, 96, 99, 100, 103, 117,118.122,123A, 124,124A, 125,128,129
IMAGE MANIPULATION: 119, 127, 130, 131, 132
MISCELLANEOUS: 59, 67, 78, 84, 102, 105, 109, 111, 115, 116, 120, 123
Earl R. Miller, M.D.
1. Miller ER: Carcinoma of the thymus with marked pulmonary osteoarthropathy. Radiology 32:651 660, June 1939.
2. Boldrey E and Miller ER: Calcified ependymoblastoma of the fourth ventricle in a four-year old girl: Roentgen demonstration. Radiology 38: 495497, April 1942.
3. Benninghoven CD and Miller ER: Coccidiodal infection in bone. Radiology 38:663-666, June 1942.
4. Miller ER and Herrmann WW: Argentaffin tumors of the small bowel: a roentgen sign of malignant change. Radiology 39:214-220, August 1942.
5. Miller ER: A simple foreign body localization device applicable to standard fluoroscopes. Radiology 39:464 466, October 1942.
6. Miller ER: Foreign body localization by X-ray. California and Western Medicine 57:349-351, December 1942.
7. Smyth FS, Soley MH, Lisser H, Goldman L, Miller ER and Lindsay S: Medical Staff conference on parathyroid gland disease. Radiology 39:715-730, December 1942.
8. Miller ER, et al: Reexamination of men rejected for general military service because of the diagnosis of cardiovascular detects: Report of the San Francisco board. American Heart Journal 27:493-501, April 1944.
9. Miller ER: Porencephaly. J Nerv Ment Dis 99:783-785, May 1944.
10. Olney ME and Miller ER: Use of intravenous cardiography in the study of congenital heart disease with cyanosis. Clinics 3 235-244, 1944.
11. Dailey ME, Miller ER: A search for symptomless gastric cancer in 500 apparently healthy men of 45 and over. Gastroenterology 5:1-4, July 1945.
12. Naffziger EC, Boldrey E, Miller ER: Cerebral tumors without pneumographic manifestations. Trans American Neurological Association, pp 70-72, June 1946.
13. Miller ER: Technique and interpretation of lower extremity venograms. California Medicine 65:1-7, July 1946.
14 Soley MH, Miller ER: Treatment of Graves' disease with radioactive iodine. Med Clin N Amer pp 3-17. Jan 1948
15. Low-Beer BVA, Miller ER: Biological effects of radiations from external and internal sources. UCRL-98, Jan-Mar 1948.
16. Low-Beer BVA, Miller. ER: Biological effects of radiations from external and internal sources. UCRL-157 39-43. Apr-June 1948.
17 Low-Beer BVA, Stone RS, Miller ER: Medical and health divisions quarterly report, Part. UCRL-193:32, July-Sept 1958.
18 Miller ER, Soley MH, Dailey ME: Preliminary report on the clinical use of radioactive iodine (l131) American J Roentgen 60:45-50 July 1948
19 Miller ER: Medical and health divisions quarterly report UCRL-270:29. Oct- Dec 1948.
19A. Soley. MH. Miller ER. and Foreman M: Graves' disease treatment with radioiodine. Brookhaven Conference Report BNL-C5 Radioiodine July 28. 1948. p 63
20 Soley MH, Miller ER, Foreman N: Graves' disease: treatment with radioiodine (I131) J Clin Endocr 9 29-35, Jan 1949
21 Bolrey E, Miller ER: Unilateral paralysis of eye muscles associated with intracranial saccular aneurysms. California Med 70:96-98, February 1949.
22. Freeman NE, Miller ER: Retrograde arteriography in the diagnosis of cardiovascular lesions. I. Visualization of aneurysms and peripheral arteries. Ann Int. Med 30:330-342, Feb 1949.
23. Low-Beer BVA, Miller ER: Medical and health divisions quarterly report. UCRL 332:65-69. Jan-Mar 1949.
24. Miller ER: Medical and health divisions quarterly report. UCRL 414:35, Apr- June 1949.
25 Miller ER: Roentgen findings in carcinoma of the lung. Kansas City Med J, May-June 1949.
26. Soley MH, Miller ER, Foreman N: Graves' disease: Treatment with Radioiodine (I131) Mississippi Valley Med J 71:131-134, July 1949.
27 Boldrey E. Miller ER Arteriovenous fistula (Aneurysm) of the great cerebral vein (of Galen) and the Circle of Willis: Arch Neurol Psvchiat, 62:778-783 December 1949
28 Bowman KM. Miller ER. Dailey ME, Simon A, Frankel R. Lowe GW: Thyroid function in mental disease measured with radioactive iodine (I131) American J Psvchiat 106:561-572. February 1950
29 Kreutzer FL. Miller ER. Soley MH, Lindsay S: Histologic localization of absorbed radioactive iodine in some human thyroid diseases. Arch Surg 60:707-720 April 1950
30 Freeman NE. Miller ER, Stephens HB, Olney MB: Retrograde arteriography in the diagnosis of cardiovascular lesions ll. Coarctation of the aorta. Ann Int Med 32:827-841. May 1950.
31 Miller ER: Experience at the University of California with the treatment of patients with hyperthyroidism by I131 UCRL 948:3-36, October 1950.
32 Miller ER: Correlation of the initial rate of I131 uptake in the thyroid with the clinical evaluation of thyroid function. UCRL 949:3-21, October 1950.
33 Bowman KM, Miller ER, Dailey ME, Simon A, Mayer BF: Thyroid function in mental disease: a multiple test survey. J Nerv Ment Dis 112:404-424. November 1950.
34. Miller ER: Isotopes: Radioactive: Radioiodine. Med Physics 2:437-443,1950, Year Book Publishers.
35 Miller ER, Dailey ME. Holmes AV, Alexander GL, Sheline GE: Studies with radioiodine. I. Function and rate of I131 uptake of thyroid. Radiology 57:37-46. July 1951
36. Miller ER, Dailey ME, Soley MH, Foreman N, Holmes AV, Alexander GL, Sheline GE: Studies with radioiodine. Il Treatment of patients with hyperthyroidism by I131. Radiology 57.227-233, August 1951.
37 Yerushalmy J, Garland LH, Harkness JT. Hinshaw HC, Miller ER, Shipman JJ, Zwerling HB: An evaluation of the role of serial chest roentgenograms in estimating the process of disease in patients with pulmonary tuberculosis American Review of Tuberculosis 64:225-248, September 1951.
38. Zwerling HB, Miller ET, Harkness JT, Yerushalmy J: The clinical importance of lesions undetected in a mass radiographic survey of the chest. American Review of Tuberculosis 64:249-255, September 1951.
39. Johansen R, Gardner RE, Galante M, Marchi FF Ledwich TW, Soley MH, Scott KG, Miller ER, McCorkle HJ: An experimental study of thyroid regeneration following subtotal thyroidectomy. Surg Gynec Obstst 93:303-309, September 1951 .
40. Steinbach HL, Lyon RP, Miller ER, Smith DR: Extraperitoneal pneumography: a preliminary report. California Medicine 75:202-206, September 1951.
41. Bierman HR, Miller ER, Byron RL, Jr., Dod KS, Kelly KH, Black DH: Intra-arterial catheterization of viscera in man. American Journal of Roentgenology 66: 555- 568, October 1951.
42. Miller ER, Sheline GE: Studies with radioiodine. Ill. Problem of dosage in the treatment of hyperthyroidism. Radiology 57:72728, November 1951.
43. Saunders JBdeCM, Davis C, Miller ER: the mechanism of deglutition (2nd stage) as revealed by cineradiography.
44. Miller ER: Radioactive iodine in medicine. Cyclo of Med (Radiology) 11:971-988, 1951.
45. Garland LH, Miller ER, Zwerling HB, Harkness JT, Hinshaw HC, Shipman SJ, Yenushalmy J: Studies on the value of serial films in estimating the progress of pulmonary disease. Radiology 58:161-175, February 1952
46. Bierman ER, Lanman JT, Dod KS, Kelly KH, Miller ER, Shimkin MB: The ameliorative effect of antibiotics on nonlipoid reticuloendotheliosis (Letterer-Siwa disease) in identical twins. J Pediat 40:269-284, Mar 1952.
47. Miller ER: A device for immobilizing children during radiographic examinations. Radiology 58:421-423, Mar 1952.
48. Miller, ER, Dailey ME, McCorkle HJ: Evaluation of treatment of hyperthyroidism with radioiodine. Arch Surg 65:12-16, July 1952.
49. Newell RR, Saunders W. Miller ER: Multichannel collimators for gamma-ray scanning with scintillation counters. Nucleonics 10:36-40, July 1952.
50. Steinbach, HL, Lyon RP, Smith DR, Miller ER: Extraperitoneal pneumography. Radiology 59:167-176, August 1952.
51. Miller, ER: Use of intravascular opaque material in the diagnosis of intra-abdominal tumors. Rev Mex Radiol 8:65-69, Jan-Feb 1953.
52. Pickering DE, Miller ER: Thyrotropic hormone in infants and children. Amer J. Dis Child 85:135-140, Feb. 1953.
53. Steinbach HL, Bierman HR, Miller ER, Wass WA: Percutaneous transhepatic portal venograph, Radiology 60:368-373, Mar 1953.
54. Dailey ME, Lindsay S., Miller ER: Histologic lesions in the thyroid glands of patients receiving radioiodine for hyperthyroidism. J Clin Endocr 13:1513-1524, Dec 1953-
55. Miller, ER: Hyperthyroidism-Definitive therapy with radioactive iodine. In Endocrinology in Clinical Practice (ed. Gordan and Lisser). Chicago. Year book Publishers. 1953, pp.47-50
56. Hinman, F Jr. Miller GM, Nickel E, Miller ER: Vesical physiology demonstrated by cineradiography and serial roentgenography. Radiology 62: 713-719, May 1954.
57. Miller ER: X-ray movies: Radiology 63:571-572, October 1954.
58. Hinman F Jr., Miller GM, Nickel E. Steinbach HL Miller ER: Normal micturition: Certain details as shown by serial cystograms. Calif Med 82:6-7, Jan 1955.
59. Miller, ER: How much radiology should we teach our medical students? Proc Amer Coll Radiology, pp 7-9, Feb 1955.
60. Lusted LB, Miller ER: A pneumocolon bottle. Radiology 64:42W25, Mar 1955.
61. Miller, ER, Scofield NE: Studies with radioiodine. IV. Collimating cones for crystal counters. Radiology 65:96-107, July 1955.
62. Miller, ER, Lindsay S, Dailey ME: Studies with radioiodine. V. Validity of histologic determination of I131 radiation changes in the thyroid gland. Radiology 65:384-393.
63. Miller ER, Lusted LB, Nickel ED: Cineradiography. IRE Convention Record 9:119-123, 195.
64. Lusted LB, Miller ER: Progress in indirect cineroentgenography. Amer J. Roentgen 75:56-62, Jan 1956.
65. Miller ER: the first stages of swallowing. Clin Sympos 8:371, Feb 1956.
66. Boldrey E, Miller ER, Maass : Role of atlantoid compression in etiology of internal carotid thrombosis. J Neurosurg 13:127-139, Mar 1956.
67. Miller, ER: Why do we join the College? Amer Coll Radiol Newsletter 12:1, May 1956.
68. Silen W, Mawdsley DL, Miller ER, McCorkle HJ: The experimental production of a competent aortic valve. Sur,a 40:78-85, July 1956.
69. Lusted LB, Miller ER: An electronic position timer for the fluoroscope. Radiology 67: 259-262, Aug 1956.
70. Sheline GE, Miller ER: Studies with radioiodine. Vl. Evaluation of radioiodine treatment of carcinoma of the thyroid based on the experience at the University of California from 1938 to 1954. Radiology 69:527-545, Oct 1957.
71. Kerner JA, Miller ER, Palmer A: Still and motion picture hysterosalpingography. Surg Forum 7:51513,1957.
72. Rider JA, Moeller HC, Miller ER: The pathophysiology of achalasia. Clin Res 6:57, Jan 1958.
73. Whitelaw MJ, Miller ER: New water-soluble medium (Sinografin) for hysterosalpingography. Fertil Steril 10:227-239, May-June 1959.
74. Sheline GE, Miller ER: Radioiodine Therapy of hyperthyroidism. Arch Int Med 103:924-9??, June 1959.
75. McCorkle HJ, Jones MD, Harper HA, Miller ER: The results of an experimental approach to the clinical problems of patients requiring gastrectomy. West J Surg Obstet Gynec 67 205-207, July-Aug 1959.
76. Miller ER: Cinefluorography in practice. Radiology 73:560-565, Oct 1959.
77. Miller ER: Roentgenopraphy: Cinematography. Med Physics 3:60611, Year Book Publisher. Chicago, 1960. (ed. O. Glasser)
78. Miller ER: Evaluation of programs of conferences of teachers of radiology. Proc Amer Coll Radiol, Feb 6,1 960, pp 35 43.
79. Blackfield HM, Miller ER, Owsley JQ Jr. Lawson Ll: Comparative evaluation of diagnostic techniques in patients with cleft palate speech. Plast Reconstr Surg 29:153-158, Feb 1962.
80. Hutch JA, Hinman F Jr. Miller ER: Reflux as a cause of hydronephrosis and chronic pyelonephritis. J Urol 88:169-175, Aug 1962.
81. Blackfield HM, Miller ER, Owsley JQ Jr., Lawson Ll: Cinefluorographic evaluation of patients with velopharyngeal dysfunction in the absence of overt cleft palate. Plast Reconstr Surg, 30:441-451, Oct 1962.
82. Hinman F, Jr. Miller ER, Hutch JA, Gainey MD, Cox CE, Goodfriend RB, Marshall S: Low pressure reflux: Relation of vesicoureteral reflux to intravesical pressure. J Urol 88:758-765, Dec 1962.
83. Miller ER: Significance of speed and resolution characteristics of certain cassette-screen-film combinations. Radiology 80:103-113, Jan 1963.
84. Miller ER: Editorial; Ivan J. Miller. Radiology 80:312-314. Feb 1963.
85. Miller ER Kafafian J, Maddison FE: Patient exposure during fluoroscopy. (This contains a definition of a new unit of patient exposure). Radiology 80:477-485, Mar 1963.
86. Hutch JA, Miller ER, Hinman F Jr: Vesicoureteral reflux. Amer J Med 34:338-349, Mar 1963.
87. Miller ER, Nickel ED, Scofield N, Mott C: Radiographic density and contrast versus quantity and quality of radiation. Radiology 80:668-685, Apr 1963.
88. Blackfield HM, Owsley JQ Jr., Miller ER, Lawson Ll; Cinefluorographic analysis of the surgical treatment of cleft palate speech. Plast Reconstr Surg 31:42- 553. June 1963.
89. Hutch, JA, Miller ER, Hinman F Jr. Perpetuation of infection in unobstructed urinary tracts by vesicoureteral reflux. J Urol 90:88:91, July 1963.
90. Hinman F Jr, Miller ER: Mural tension in vesical disorders and ureteral reflux. Trans Amer Asso GU Surg. 1963.
91. Miller ER: Kinescopic recording of fluoroscopic information: Usefulness and limitations. In: The Reduction of Patient Dose by Diagnostic Radiologic Instrumentation. (Ed. Moseley RD Rust JH) CC Thomas, 1964, Springfield ILL
92. Samilson RL, Miller ER: Posterior dislocations of the shoulder. Clin Orthop 32:69-86, Jan-Feb 1964.
93. Enhorning G, Miller ER, Hinman F Jr: Urethral closure studied with cineroentgenography and simultaneous bladder-urethra pressure recording. Surg Gynec Obstet 118:507-516, Mar 1964.
94. Lusted LB, Miller ER: A pneumocolon bottle. In: Special Procedures in Roentgen Diagnosis (Ed. Berenbaum SL, Meyers PH). CC Thomas, 1964, pp 414-415, Springfield, Ill. (Also Radiology 64: 424-435, Mar 1955).
95. Steinbach HL, Bierman HR, Miller ER, Wass WA: Percutaneous transhepatic portal venography. In: Special Procedures in Roentgen Diagnosis (Ed. Berenbaum SL, Meyers PH) CC Thomas, 1964, pp 485 486. (Also, Radiology 60:36373, Mar 1953.
96. Hinman F Jr. Hutch JA, Miller ER: Role of reflux in pathogenesis of chronic pyelonephritis. Excerta Med Internatl Congr Series 78:305-306, 1963.
97. Maddison FE, Miller ER: The efficiency of radiographic tubes. Radiology 84: 347-350, Feb 1965.
98. Lawson Ll, Miller ER, Owsley JQ Jr. Blackfield HM: Evaluation of velopharyngeal dysfunction in individuals with no overt cleft of the palate. J Calif Speech Hear Assn 14:8-13, Nov 1965.
99. Hutch JA, Miller ER: Vesicoureteral reflux: role in pyelonephritis. In: Pyelonephritis (ef. Kass EH). FA Davis, Philadelphia, pp 613-630,1965.
100. Tanagho EA, Miller ER, Meyers FH, Corbett RK: Observations on the dynamics of the bladder neck. Brit J Radiol 38:72-84, Feb 1966.
101. Owsley JQ Jr, Miller ER, Lawson Ll, Blackfield HM: Cleft palate speech in the absence of cleft palate. GP 33:93-98, Feb 1966.
102. Miller, ER: The future educational needs of radiology - The Eleventh Ross Golden Lecture. Bull NY Acad Med 42:241-247, Mar 166.
103. Tanagho EA, Hutch JA, Miller ER: Diagnostic procedures and cinefluoroscopy in vesicoureteral reflux. Brit J Urol 38:435 444, Aug 1966.
104. Owsley JQ Jr, Lawson Ll, Miller ER, et al: Experience with the high attached pharyngeal flap. Plast Reconstr Surg 38:232-242, Sept 1966.
105. Miller ER: Robert Spencer Stone, M.D., LL.D., Bull Calif Radiol Soc 5:1, Mar 10, 1967.
106. Owsley JQ Jr. Chierci G, Miller ER, Lawson Ll, Blackfield HM: Cephalometric evaluation of palatal dysfunction in patients without cleft palate. Plast Reconstr Surg 39:562-568, June 1967.
107. Miller ER: Techniques for simultaneous display of X-ray and physiologic data. In: Neurogenic Bladder (ed. Boyarsky S), Williams and Wilkins Co, Baltimore, 1967, pp 79-85.
108. Miller ER: Equipment for the roentgenologic examination of the gastrointestinal tract. In: Alimentary Tract Roentgenology (ed. Margulis AR, Burhenne HJ). CV Mosby Co., St. Louis, 1:37-52, 1967.
109. Miller, ER (ed.): Status of research in diagnostic radiology. Report, Radiology Training Committee, National Institute of General Medicine, May 1968.
110. Miller, ER: The digestive tract. In: Status of research in Diagnostic Radiology. Radiology Training Committee, National Institute of General Medicine, May 1968, pp 22-32.
111. Miller ER: Teaching and learning in diagnostic radiology. In: Status of research in Diagnostic Radiology. Report, Radiology Training Committee, National Institute of General Medicine, May 1968, pp 106-111.
112. Miller ER, McCurry EM: Immediate hospital-wide access to x-ray film images. Radiology 92:225-230, Feb 1969.
113. Miller ER, McCurry EM, Hruska BB: Immediate remote access to radiologists' reports. Radiology 93:13-16, July 1969.
114. Owsley JQ Jr, Lawson Ll, Miller ER, Harvold EP, Chierici G, Blackfield HM: Speech results from the high attached pharyngeal nap operation. Cleft Palate J 7:306-317, Jan 1970.
115. Holbrooke DR, Shibata HR, Hruska BB, McCurry EM, Miller ER: Diagnostic Holography - A feasibility study. In: Acoustical Holography, 2:251-263, 1970.
116. Miller ER: Color coding of x-ray films for efficient retrieval. Radiology 94:68 686, Mar 1970.
117. Tanagho EA, Miller ER: Initiation of Voiding. Brit J Urol 42:17183, Apr 1970.
118. Miller ER: Combined monitoring for the study of continence and voiding. In: Hinman F Jr: Hydrodynamics of Micturition. CC Thomas, 1970, Springfield, Ill.
119. Miller, ER, McCurry EM, Hruska BB: Anisotropic subtraction and edge-enhancement of roentgenographic images. Radiology 97:27-32, Oct. 1970.
120. Miller, ER: Immediate aims of acoustical imaging in medical practice. In: Acoustical Holography, 3:19-g:, Plenum Press, New York, 1971 (ed. Metherell AF).
121. Miller ER, McCurry EM, Hrusha 4B: An infinite number of laminagrams from finite number of radiographs. Radiology 98:249-256, Feb 1971.
122. Tanagho, Miller, Lyon, Fisher: Spastic Striated external sphincter and rinary tract infection in girls. British Journal of Urology, Vol. XLII, No. 1, Feb 1971.
123a. The Fate of Two Deans: A Fable, The Pharos of AIpha Omega Alpha, July 1971, Vol. 34, pp 104-105; copyright 1971 by AIpha Omega Alpha Honor Medical Society
123. Miller: Physiology of the Lower Urinary Tract: Proc of Post Grad Course, UC Radiology, 1971.
124. Miller: Physiology of the Lower Urinary Tract: Proc of Post Grad Course, UC Radiology, 1971.
125. Tanagho, Miller: Abnormal Voiding and Urinary Tract Infection. International Urology and Nephrology 4 (2), 1972.
126. Miller: Continence and voiding in females. Proc of UC Post Graduate Course in Radiology, Feb 2 March 3,1972.
127. Miller: adder and Urethra: an Overview. Investigative Radiology Vol. 7, No. 4, July-Aug 1972.
128. Lawson, Chierici, Castro, Harvold, Miller, Owsley: Effects of Adenoidectomy of the speech of children with potential velo-pharyngeal dysfunction. Journal of Speech and hearing disorders. Aug 1972, Vol. 37, No. 3.
129. Miller: Photographic anisotropic subtraction and edge enhancement. Radiology Vol. 106, No. 1, Jan 1973.
130. Tanagho, Miller: Functional Considerations of urethral sphincteric dynamics. Journal of Urology. Vol. 109, Feb 1973.
131. Miller: Studies of mechanisms of incontinence, incontinence, and voiding: urodynamics, Upper and lower urinary tract. Editors: Lutzeyer, Melchior, Springer-Verlag, 1973.
132. Miller: A multiple-film technique for contrast enhancement and/or reduction of patient exposure. Radiology. Vol. 110, No. 2, Feb 1973.
133. Miller, McCurry, Hruska: A simplified procedure for viewing multiple films to create an infinite number of laminograms. Radiology. Vol. 110 No. 2. Feb 1973.
134. Miller: Image Manipulation. Proc of UC Post Grad course in Radiology, Mar 1974.
135. Miller ER: The Beginnings. Clinical Urodynamics: Urodynamics Bases of Clinical Urology. Edited by Graham Whiteside and Richard Turner-Worwick. Publisher: W.R. Saunders. Philadelphia. Feb 1979.